Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Literary Long-Haul: Reading Circle E

InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
It's a reading endurance test! A reading circle for authors with long works and those who want to read them.

Featuring:

@InfraGreen
@ThePlumbob
@Munterbacon
@roseinblack69
@JLBDreamer

Stories:

InfraGreen:
ThePlumbob:
Munterbacon:
roseinblack69:
A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
Post edited by InfraGreen on

Comments

• Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for making the thread @InfraGreen - I love the name!

I won't be around much this weekend, but I'm really excited about this! I've been wanting to read Eight Cicadas for ages, and this is just the final push I needed!
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob: Thank you!

Pretty sure The Bloomer Legacy will be your listed long work, right? And if anyone else in the group could come forward with the works they'd like featured here, do it! Just so I don't mess up and accidentally pick up a side project with five chapters instead. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    roseinblack69roseinblack69 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Hello everyone :) This thread looks grea @InfraGreen <3 I'm bookmarking it ;) Now I'm at work (one more crazy night shift with crazy patients :D), but tomorrow when I'll be at home and will rest a bit I'll be here ;)
    I'm already reading @ThePlumbob's story about amazing The Bloomers family, I follow them from generation to generation and I also want to read more stories of other authors. I like long works, it feels as if you read a book or watch some movie :) My story about the Blessing Moon tribe isn't short, too.
  • Options
    @roseinblack69: I counted 33 chapters for Blessing Moon. Maybe someday! I like Amazon Challenges but I always have to be in the mood for reading some slave killing too (and I get it's more than that, but you know...) :p I too like watching things unfold at their own pace, chapter by chapter.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @roseinblack69: I counted 33 chapters for Blessing Moon. Maybe someday! I like Amazon Challenges but I always have to be in the mood for reading some slave killing too (and I get it's more than that, but you know...) :p I too like watching things unfold at their own pace, chapter by chapter.

Here are much more chapters than 33 @InfraGreen :D I'm glad you lurked in the Blessing Moon tribe, thank you <3 I hope someday you can read it... :blush: I think you'll like 3rd generation as there no slaves, only tribal sons :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @roseinblack69: My mistake, then! I'll add you to the roster. :)

EDIT: Forgot to check your Weebly too! Your male prettacy is long and I'll have tons of catching up to do. ;)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob: Thank you!

Pretty sure The Bloomer Legacy will be your listed long work, right? And if anyone else in the group could come forward with the works they'd like featured here, do it! Just so I don't mess up and accidentally pick up a side project with five chapters instead. :p

Yes that's right! I don't really have any other stories, I'm very one-track minded when it comes to writing (not reading though!). I'll need to finish my legacy story before I can start another one :)
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Munterbacon reporting for duty! :D

It'll come as no surprise, but Ironbound will be my story for this circle.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    @roseinblack69: My mistake, then! I'll add you to the roster. :)

EDIT: Forgot to check your Weebly too! Your male prettacy is long and I'll have tons of catching up to do. ;)

Good morning @InfraGreen :) Yes, you can see all chapters of the Blessing Moon tribe on my thread if you'd read it from the beginning :) And if you'll check my Blog on Blogger you'll see such links like 1st generation, 2nd generation and etc. When I started writed about the 3rd generation and I changed something there. Now I'm numbering the chapters 3.1, 3.2 and etc. Thirst number means the generation, second number means chapter. I think it's better :)
    And yes... About my Kasanovas family. I loved them very much and I really enjoyed writing this story, but unfortunately, I can't finish it as when I had troubles with my laptop I lost all material :( I miss them very much... And there was another story about king Alistair. I also can't continue it for the same reasons :( But I hope you'll like both stories if even they aren't finished. :)
  • Options

Hello @Munterbacon I always wanted to read your story and now I got the chance :)
  • Options

Hello @Munterbacon I always wanted to read your story and now I got the chance :)

Ollo @roseinblack69 :D It'll be interesting for me to read an amazon story, being a guy and all, but I'm thick-skinned so I should have no issues with anything :)

Looking forward to this group!
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

Ollo @roseinblack69 :D It'll be interesting for me to read an amazon story, being a guy and all, but I'm thick-skinned so I should have no issues with anything :)

Looking forward to this group!

I hope the Blessing Moon tribe will not scare you :D I'm sure you'll like tribal sons of the third generation ;)
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited May 2016
    What is considered a long work? Just wondering since I do have a rather long story that is now 42 chapters and will be more before its over? Its a Black Comedy centered around a Baby Challenge.

Oh and how quickly are we required to catch up on a story?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hi @JLBDreamer !
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    What is considered a long work? Just wondering since I do have a rather long story that is now 42 chapters and will be more before its over? Its a Black Comedy centered around a Baby Challenge.

I think the original definition said it should be stories over 50 chapters, but I'm sure we can be flexible on that!
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Oh and how quickly are we required to catch up on a story?

I was thinking about this, and I think it's important that we allow plenty of time to catch up. We're the long-haulers, after all, meaning that this is not a sprint :)

I think my story is the longest of the group at 165 chapters. I wouldn't want this to cause any sort of stress for people, and wouldn't be surprised if people spend a month catching up, or even longer.

Equally, I don't want to blast through others' works as quickly as possible just for the sake of being caught up, I'd rather allow enough time to take it all in, as I know some of the works in here are quite deep, complex stories.

I reckon we should read at a pace we're comfortable with, but keep in touch throughout the whole process. I for one love getting comments on my older chapters, and I bet I'm not the only one!

Another idea would be having weekly discussions to talk about where we got in the stories (without any pressure, if we didn't get a chance to read that week that's fine too) - though this would need to be fine-tuned to avoid spoilers for those who take longer to catch up.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Oh, I should probably mention that I'll be abroad on holiday from the 15th June till the 25th, so I won't be able to read anything during that time. I also won't be updating my work while on holiday though, so that should help the catching up part haha!
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

I think the original definition said it should be stories over 50 chapters, but I'm sure we can be flexible on that!

42 is pretty close to 50 :) It's really more of a guideline then a hardline. :D

@ThePlumbob I agree about needing to take the time to catch up. I know that I'll be starting three stories from scratch, and I only got to midway through gen 3 of the Bloomers, so I may need to start from the beginning of gen 3 for a refresher.

Weekly discussions could work really well, I would say that you could frame which chapter your comments are going to be about, and then plonk them behind a spoiler tag, so if anyone hasn't gotten to that part yet they can scroll past it and look for a comment that they can reply to.

dustshaela.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @Munterbacon I'm in the same boat! I read the first 30ish chapters of Ironbound last summer when it was read in the book club, and then I fell behind awfully! I think I'll start from the beginning since it has been a year. I also remembered going through it all really quickly because I was so eager to see what happens (as I was biting my nails haha!), so this time, I'll make a conscious effort to slow down now that I do know some of the initial events!

The other stories will be brand new to me too, and I'm really excited - I think we have a great group going! :)
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • Options
    Hello everyone :) I hope you all are doing fine :)
    The first part of the Blessing Moon tribe's story has 125 chapters (1st generation), the second part about second generation has 141... Now I'll write chapter 23 about 3rd generation :) I think it's really long story :D
    But nowhere to rush, right? I meant we have a lot of time to read each others stories... ;) When I started to read about The Bloomers it took few days and longer I guess till I read it to the newest chapter :) Now I can't wait when I'll start to read other stories of this group :) Discussions will be interesting. Will we choose one day in the week for that?
    I also think our group is great @ThePlumbob :)
  • Options
    Late, late responses:

- @JLBDreamer: I know I said 50, but I was thinking that anything more than 40 would be fine. Welcome aboard. :) This fills up the group, but lurkers are welcome.

- @roseinblack69: Sorry to hear about the Kasanovas, but now it's a long archived work to read on a dreary afternoon!

- @everyone: I like the idea of weekly discussions too. Maybe every weekend like in the Book Club? I was also thinking of having it on Mondays instead, but that sounds kind of cruel. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Also, I know I need to update the first post, but that's for later this afternoon when I'm not in mobile.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Late, late responses:

- @JLBDreamer: I know I said 50, but I was thinking that anything more than 40 would be fine. Welcome aboard. :) This fills up the group, but lurkers are welcome.

- @roseinblack69: Sorry to hear about the Kasanovas, but now it's a long archived work to read on a dreary afternoon!

- @everyone: I like the idea of weekly discussions too. Maybe every weekend like in the Book Club? I was also thinking of having it on Mondays instead, but that sounds kind of cruel. :p

I always can start new male prettacy story and make it as continuation of the Kasanovas family story @InfraGreen ;)
    Mondays really sound cruel although it doesn't give me a big difference as I can be busy or free any day. However, I'll always try to join the discussion.
  • Options

Personally I completely fail to function on Monday evenings when I get back from work haha!

I reckon we should just say Saturday-Sunday for discussion (or a different combination of two days), to accommodate for different timezones - @Munterbacon is in New Zealand, @roseinblack69 and myself are in Europe, though an hour apart - not sure where you're based @InfraGreen ? (And of course @JLBDreamer could be in another timezone too, if she decides to join us that is :))
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Personally I completely fail to function on Monday evenings when I get back from work haha!

I reckon we should just say Saturday-Sunday for discussion (or a different combination of two days), to accommodate for different timezones - @Munterbacon is in New Zealand, @roseinblack69 and myself are in Europe, though an hour apart - not sure where you're based @InfraGreen ? (And of course @JLBDreamer could be in another timezone too, if she decides to join us that is :))

I agree @ThePlumbob. I think the whole weekend for discussions would be a great idea. We all could join in our local time.
  • Options
    Whole weekend it is! I'm on the East Coast of the United States. I was a little afraid of scheduling it at roughly the same time as the Book Club discussions, but I guess there's a reason they chose that too. :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    So the whole weekend suits you, @InfraGreen? :)
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @Infragreen Thanks! I'd love to join! I like the idea of discussion days and I agree to keep if open over the weekend and maybe into Monday would be best. I'm in Pacific Timezone and weekends either run really busy or partly for me so having a few days to chime in makes it flexible for others like myself.

So my story for the group will be Quest for Immortality.

This story is a Black Comedy and is a story-driven Sims 3 100 Baby Challenge. The story is set up in three acts each having its own story arch and is currently just beginning its second act. It will most likely reach 100 chapters or above by the time it reaches its conclusion. I update it at least twice a month but sometimes more.